Recommended Introductory Reading
Good surveys include Brown 1997:127-70, Johnson and Penner 1999:159-184, Stanton 2002:13-57. A historical perspective on Mark’s place in the fourfold Gospel and in the canon is offered by Hengel 2000, esp. 34-115; Kealy 1982/2007 as well as Oden and Hall 1998b:xxi-xxxv introduce the interpretation of Mark in the early church.
For a theological approach, note also Williams 2014.
At present, the main English-language commentaries on the Greek text are in the Word series (vol. 1:Guelich 1989; vol. 2: Evans 2001), the revised Anchor Bible (now complete in 2 vols, Marcus 2000-2009), Hermeneia (Collins 2007), R. H. Gundry (2nd edn.: Gundry 2000) and France 2002. Note also Brooks 1991 or Edwards 2002 for shorter treatments. The two best older commentaries are Taylor 1966 and Lane 1974.
- Bauckham, Richard. 1998. “John for Readers of Mark.” In The Gospels for all Christians 147-71. Ed. R. Bauckham. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Black, C. Clifton. 1989. The Disciples According to Mark: Markan Redaction in Current Debate. Journal for the Study of the New Testament: Supplement Series 27. Sheffield: JSOT Press.
- Black, C. Clifton. 1994. Mark: Images of an Apostolic Interpreter. Columbia/Edinburgh: University of South Carolina Press/T&T Clark.
- Brown, Raymond E. 1997. An Introduction to the New Testament. ABRL. New York: Doubleday.
- Collins, Adela Yarbro. 2007. Mark : A Commentary. Hermeneia. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Edwards, James R. 2002. The Gospel according to Mark. The Pillar New Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids/Leicester: Eerdmans/Apollos.
- Evans, Craig A. 2001. Mark 8:27-16:20. Word Biblical Commentary 34B. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
- France, R. T. 2002. The Gospel of Mark: A Commentary on the Greek Text. NIGTC. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Guelich, Robert A. 1989. Mark 1-8:26. Word Biblical Commentary 34A. Dallas: Word Books.
- Gundry, Robert Horton. 2000. Mark: A Commentary on his Apology for the Cross. Grand Rapids/Cambridge: Eerdmans.
- Hengel, Martin. 1985. Studies in the Gospel of Mark. London: SCM Press.
- Hengel, Martin. 2000. The Four Gospels and the One Gospel of Jesus Christ: An Investigation of the Collection and Origin of the Canonical Gospels. Trans. J. Bowden. London: SCM Press.
- Hooker, Morna D. 1983. The Message of Mark. London: Epworth.
- Johnson, Luke Timothy and Todd C. Penner. 1999. The Writings of the New Testament: An Interpretation. Rev. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Kealy, Sean P. 1982. Mark’s Gospel: A History of its Interpretation. New York: Paulist Press.
- Kealy, Sean P. 2007. A History of the Interpretation of the Gospel of Mark. Lewiston: Edwin Mellen Press.
- Kelber, Werner H. 1983. The Oral and the Written Gospel: The Hermeneutics of Speaking and Writing in the Synoptic Tradition, Mark, Paul, and Q. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- Kingsbury, Jack Dean. 1989. Conflict in Mark: Jesus, Authorities, Disciples. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Lampe, Peter. 2003. From Paul to Valentinus: Christians at Rome in the First Two Centuries. Trans. M. Steinhauser. Ed. M. D. Johnson. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Lane, William L. 1974. The Gospel according to Mark: the English text with introduction, exposition, and notes. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Malbon, Elizabeth Struthers. 2000. In the Company of Jesus: Characters in Mark’s Gospel. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Marcus, Joel. 2000-2009. Mark: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. 2 vols. New York: Doubleday.
- Oden, Thomas C. and Christopher A. Hall. 1998a. Mark. Ancient Christian commentary on Scripture. New Testament 2. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press.
- Oden, Thomas C. and Christopher A. Hall, eds. 1998b. Mark. ACCSNT 2. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press.
- Rhoads, David M. 2004. Reading Mark: Engaging the Gospel. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Rhoads, David M., Joanna Dewey, and Donald Michie. 1999. Mark as Story: An Introduction to the Narrative of a Gospel. 2nd edn. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Senior, Donald. 1991. The Passion of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark. Collegeville: Liturgical Press.
- Stanton, Graham. 2002. The Gospels and Jesus. 2nd edn. Oxford/New York: Oxford University Press.
- Taylor, Vincent. 1966. The Gospel According to St. Mark: The Greek Text with Introduction, Notes, and Indexes. 2nd. London, New York, etc.: Macmillan/St. Martin’s Press.
- Telford, William. 1995a. Mark. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.
- Telford, William. 1999. The Theology of the Gospel of Mark. Cambridge, etc.: Cambridge University Press.
- Telford, William, ed. 1995b. The Interpretation of Mark. 2nd edn. Edinburgh: T & T Clark.
- Tolbert, Mary Ann. 1989. Sowing the Gospel: Mark’s World in Literary-Historical Perspective. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
- Williams, Rowan. 2014. Meeting God in Mark. London: SPCK.