- This 16-hour course of lectures for the Final Honour School is given by Dr Jenn Strawbridge in the Michaelmas Term 2016 and Hilary Term 2017. It meets from 2-3pm* on Tuesdays and is intended to give an overview of the life and letters of St Paul, supplementing tutorials for FHS Paper 3.
- Suggestions for introductory reading may be found here.
- See also Professor Bockmuehl’s suggested tutorial topics and reading lists for this paper.
- See here for a list of recommended Commentaries on the Pauline letters.
- Weekly reading classes on this paper’s set texts in Greek (1 Corinthians 1-7, 15; Rom 3-8) will additionally be offered by Matthew Albanese, a DPhil student and graduate teaching assistant.
- There will most likely be one or two additional Revision Classes in the Trinity Term 2016.
- Relevant handouts for the 2016-2017 lectures will be available below after each lecture.
- See here for the Faculty’s Course Description for FHS Paper 3.
Course Outline (2016-2017):
MICHAELMAS TERM 2016:
|Week 1 (2-4pm)||Overview: Life of Paul and the Pauline Corpus;
Major Debates and the Writings of Paul
|Week 2 (2-4pm)
with Prof. Nathan Eubank
Paul and Eschatology
|Week 3 (2-4pm)||1-2 Corinthians|
|Week 4 (2-4pm)||Galatians; Paul and Ethics|
|Week 5 (2-3pm)*||Philippians|
|Week 6 (2-3pm)||Paul’s Christ|
|Week 7||NO LECTURE|
|Week 8 (2-3pm)||Romans|
HILARY TERM 2017:
|Week 1 (2-3pm)||Paul’s Soteriology|
|Week 2 (2-3pm)||Ephesians, Colossians & Philemon|
|Week 3 (2-3pm)||The Pastoral Epistles and the Paul of the NT Canon|
|Week 4 (2-4pm)||Major Debates revisited;
History of Interpretation: Champions and Opponents of Paul
*Lectures change from 2-4pm to 2-3pm on Tuesdays beginning in Week 5 of Michaelmas Term. They continue through Weeks 1-4 of Hilary Term 2017.