- This 16-hour course of lectures for the Final Honour School is given by Dr Jenn Strawbridge in Michaelmas Term 2017 and Hilary Term 2018 (Week 1 Only). It meets from 2-4pm on Tuesdays and is intended to give an overview of the life and letters of St Paul, supplementing tutorials for FHS Paper 3.
Information below is due to be updated periodically.
- Suggestions for introductory reading may be found here.
- See also Professor Bockmuehl’s suggested tutorial topics and reading lists for this paper.
- See here for a list of recommended Commentaries on the Pauline letters.
- Weekly reading classes on this paper’s set texts in Greek (1 Corinthians 1-7, 15; Rom 3-8) will additionally be offered by Matthew Albanese, a DPhil student and graduate teaching assistant.
- There will most likely be one or two additional Revision Classes in the Trinity Term 2018.
- Relevant handouts for the 2017-2018 lectures will be available below after each lecture.
- See here for the Faculty’s Course Description for FHS Paper 3.
Course Outline (2017-2018):
MICHAELMAS TERM 2017:
|Week 1 (2-4pm)||Overview: Life of Paul and the Pauline Corpus;
Major Debates and the Writings of Paul
|Week 2 (2-4pm)||1-2 Thessalonians;
Paul and Eschatology
|Week 3 (2-4pm)||1-2 Corinthians|
|Week 4 (2-4pm)||Galatians; Paul and Ethics|
|Week 5 (2-4pm)||Philippians;
|Week 6 (2-4pm)||Romans;
|Week 7||NO LECTURE|
|Week 8 (2-4pm)||Ephesians, Colossians & Philemon;
The Pastoral Epistles and the Paul of the NT Canon
HILARY TERM 2018:
|Week 1 (2-4pm)||Major debates revisited;
History of Interpretation: Champions and Opponents of Paul