Associate Professor in New Testament Studies at Oxford
G.B. Caird Fellow in Theology at Mansfield College
Pauline Epistles; Patristic reception of the New Testament; History of Interpretation; Papyrological and epigraphic sources and the New Testament; Sight and sightlessness in the New Testament and ancient world; 1 Peter
- 2022/in press. “The Trinity in the Making” in Bruce Longenecker and David Wilhite (eds.) Cambridge History of Ancient Christianity (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- 2022/in press. “Reconsidering Pauline Influence in Tatian” in David Wilhite (ed.) Paul and the Apologists (London: Bloomsbury).
- 2021. “‘Resolve me of all ambiguities’: A Review of Thomas McGlothlin’s Resurrection as Salvation”, Syndicate (with Matthew Crawford, Ben White, Han-luen Kantzer Komline, Joseph Longarino, and Sarah Coakley), Dec 2021: https://syndicate.network/symposia/theology/resurrection-as-salvation/
- 2021. “And Finally…”, Expository Times, 132.12: 567-68.
- 2021. “New Testament (Literature)” in Encyclopaedia of the Bible and its Reception (Berlin: de Gruyter).
- 2020. 1 Peter: A Global Commentary, Jennifer Strawbridge (ed.) (London: SCM).
- 2020. “Taking up Armour: The Challenges of Early Christian Exegesis of Ephesians.” Studia Patristica 100: 19-38.
- 2020. “Farrer on St Paul” in Richard Harries and Stephen Platten (eds.) Austin Farrer for Today: A Prophetic Agenda (London: SCM).
- 2019. “Love in Excess: God the Holy Trinity” and “Love Outspoken: Scripture and the Church” in Jennifer Strawbridge, Peter Groves, Jarred Mercer (eds.) Love Makes No Sense (London: SCM).
- 2019. Love Makes No Sense: An Introduction to Christian Theology, Jennifer Strawbridge, Peter Groves, Jarred Mercer (eds.) (London: SCM).
- 2018. Paul and Patristics Digital Database, https://paulandpatristics.web.ox.ac.uk.
- 2018. “The Image and Unity of God: The role of Colossians 1 in theological controversy” in Christopher A. Beeley and Mark Weedman (eds.) The Bible and Early Trinitarian Theology (Washington D.C.: Catholic University of America Press).
- 2018. “Knowing and Loving the Triune God in the Pauline Epistles” in George Westhaver (ed.) Knowing and Loving the Triune God (London: Canterbury Press).
- 2017. “How the Body of Lazarus Helps to Solve a Pauline Problem” in New Testament Studies, Vol 63 (4), 588-603.
- 2017. “Early Christian Epigraphy, Evil, and the Apotropaic Function of Romans 8.31” in Vigiliae Christianae, Vol 71, 315-329.
- 2017. “A Tangled Vine” in Alison Milbank and Arabella Milbank (eds.) Radical Orthodoxy (London: SCM).
- 2016. ‘A School of Paul? Pauline Texts in Early Christian Schooltext Papyri.’ in Matthew Hauge and Andrew Pitts (eds.) Ancient Education and Early Christianity (LNTS; New York: T&T Clark).
- 2015. The Pauline Effect: The use of the Pauline Epistles by early Christian Writers (Berlin: De Gruyter).
- 2015. ‘The Songs we used to Sing: Hymn “Traditions” and Reception in Pauline Letters’ with Benjamin Edsall in Journal for the Study of the New Testament, Vol 37 (3), 290-311.
- 2015. ‘Mark 6.30-44’ and ‘Mark 6.45-56’ in Marek Zabriskie (ed.) A Journey with Mark (Cincinnati: Forward Movement Press).
- 2013. ‘A Community of Interpretation: The Use of 1 Corinthians 2.6-16 by early Christians’ in Studia Patristica, LXIII (Leuven: Peeters Press), 69-80.
- 2011. ‘How present is Romans in early Christian School Exercises: Is P.Lond.Lit 207 mislabelled?’ in Oxford Research Archive for The Present Moment.
- 2009. ‘The Word of the Cross: Mission, Power and the Theology of Leadership’ in Anglican Theological Review, 91.1 (Winter), 61-79.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses Taught
- Introduction to the Study of the Bible
- Paul and the Pauline Tradition; Introduction to Pauline Literature
- The Gospels
- Why Women, the Environment, Colonisation, and Black Lives Matter to New Testament Interpretation
- The Historical Jesus
- Development of Doctrine to 451 AD
- From Nicaea to Chalcedon
- History of the Church from Nero to Constantine
- The Figure of Jesus through the Centuries
- History and Theology of the Early Church (64 AD – 337 AD)
- Patristic Exegesis of Scripture
- Epistles and Revelation
DPhil Supervision Titles
- Paul’s “Works of the Law” in the Second Century
- Early Christian Readings of Paul on Moral Regeneration
- The Ever-Changing Portrait of the Pontic Wolf: How the Shifting Definitions of Orthodoxy from Justin to Epiphanius Influenced the Patristic Construction of Marcion’s Theology
- New Testament ‘Hymnic’ Texts in Ancient Reception and Modern Interpretation
- Paul and the Wealth Ethics of the Gospels: the First Two Hundred Years of Reception
Academic and Community Engagement
- Co-Editor, Journal for the Study of the New Testament
- Trustee, St Augustine’s Foundation
- Committee Member, British New Testament Society
- Board of Governors, Ripon College, Cuddesdon
- Member, Anglican Communion Science Commission
- Member, Faith and Order & Liturgical Commissions of the Church of England
- Convener, St Augustine Seminar (Anglican Communion), 2018-2022
- Wiccamical Canon, Chichester Cathedral
- Canon Theologian, Diocese of Blackburn
- Foundation Governor, St Andrew’s Primary School, Headington