Associate Professor of New Testament Studies at Oxford
G.B. Caird Fellow in Theology at Mansfield College
Pauline Epistles; Patristic reception of the NT; History of Interpretation; Papyrological and epigraphic sources and the NT; Gospel of John
- 2017. ‘How the Body of Lazarus Helps to Solve a Pauline Problem’ in New Testament Studies, Vol 63 (4), 588-603.
- 2017. ‘Early Christian Epigraphy, Evil, and the Apotropaic Function of Romans 8.31’ in Vigiliae Christianae, Vol 71, 315-329.
- 2017. ‘The Image and Unity of God: The role of Colossians 1 in theological controversy’ in Christopher A. Beeley and Mark Weedman (eds.) The Bible and Early Trinitarian Theology (Washington D.C.: Catholic University of America Press).
- 2016. ‘A School of Paul? Pauline Texts in Early Christian Schooltext Papyri.’ in Matthew Hauge and Andrew Pitts (eds.) Ancient Education and Early Christianity (LNTS; New York: T&T Clark).
- 2015. The Pauline Effect: The use of the Pauline Epistles by early Christian Writers (Berlin: De Gruyter).
- 2015. ‘The Songs we used to Sing: Hymn “Traditions” and Reception in Pauline Letters’ with Benjamin Edsall in Journal for the Study of the New Testament, Vol 37 (3), 290-311.
- 2015. ‘Mark 6.30-44’ and ‘Mark 6.45-56’ in Marek Zabriskie (ed.) A Journey with Mark (Cincinnati: Forward Movement Press).
- 2013. ‘A Community of Interpretation: The Use of 1 Corinthians 2.6-16 by early Christians’ in Studia Patristica, LXIII (Leuven: Peeters Press), 69-80.
- 2011. ‘How present is Romans in early Christian School Exercises: Is P.Lond.Lit 207 mislabelled?’ in Oxford Research Archive for The Present Moment.
- 2009. ‘The Word of the Cross: Mission, Power and the Theology of Leadership’ in Anglican Theological Review, 91.1 (Winter), 61-79.
Academic and Community Engagement
- Board of Governors, Ripon College, Cuddesdon
- Editorial Board, Journal for the Study of the New Testament
- Chaplain, College of Bishops (Church of England)
- Foundation Governor, St Andrew’s School, Headington
- Introduction to the Study of the Bible
- Introduction to Pauline Literature
- The Gospels
- Development of Doctrine to 451
- History of the Church from Nero to Constantine
- The Figure of Jesus through the Centuries
- History and Theology of the Early Church (64 AD – 337 AD)
- Patristic Exegesis of Scripture