1. “The term ‘Apostolic Fathers’ is a misleading modern affectation.” Discuss.
2. Ignatius of Antioch: EITHER
a. Why was Ignatius so keen to become a martyr?
b. What, if anything, can we learn from Ignatius’ letters about late first-century Antioch?
3. Is the Shepherd of Hermas correctly understood as Christian apocalyptic literature?
4. Evaluate the arguments used by 1 Clement to restore unity to the Corinthian church.
5. Consider the value of the Didache as a tool for reconstructing the beliefs and practices of the early church.
6. ‘The grotesquely allegorizing Epistle of Barnabas reflects the second-century Egyptian context of an acutely anti-Jewish “replacement theology”.’ Discuss.
7. Does the Epistle to Diognetus affirm or evade a definition of Christian public identity?
a. Do the writings of the Apostolic Fathers witness to a declining understanding of the New Testament gospel?
b. ”The Apostolic Fathers show little awareness of the canonical gospel tradition.’ Discuss.