- Beker, Johan Christian. 1982. Paul’s Apocalyptic Gospel: The Coming Triumph of God. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- *Bieringer, Reimund. 2018. “Proclaimed message or proclamation of the message? A critical analysis of EUAGGÉLION in the letters of Paul and the Gospel of Mark.” In Receptions of Paul in Early Christianity, eds. J. Schröter, S. Butticaz, A. Dettwiler, C. Paul. Berlin: de Gruyter.
- Campbell, Douglas. 2005. The Quest for Paul’s Gospel: A suggested strategy. London: T&T Clark.
- Dunn, James. 2006. The Theology of Paul the Apostle. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Dunn, James D.G. 2014. “The Gospel according to St Paul” in The Blackwell Companion to Paul.
- Engberg-Pedersen, Troels. 2000. Paul and the Stoics. New York: T&T Clark.
- Hays, Richard B. 2004. “Is Paul’s Gospel Narratable?” Journal for the Study of the New Testament, 27.2; pp 217-39.
- Gorman, Michael. 2009. Inhabiting the Cruciform God: Kenosis, Justification, and Theosis in Paul’s Narrative Soteriology. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Kim, Seyoon. 1982. The Origin of Paul’s Gospel. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Räisänen, Heikki. 1987. “Paul’s Conversion and the Development of his View of the Law,” New Testament Studies, 33.3; pp 404-19.
- Sanders, E. P. 1991. Paul: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sanders, E. P. 2008. “Did Paul’s Theology Develop?” in The Word Leaps the Gap: Essays on Scripture and Theology in Honor of Richard B. Hays. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Sanders, E. P. 1977. Paul and Palestinian Judaism. London: SCM.
- *Stanton, Graham. 2003. “Paul’s Gospel” in Cambridge Companion to St Paul, ed. J.D.G. Dunn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- *Stuhlmacher, Peter. 1991. “The Pauline Gospel” in The Gospel and the Gospels, ed. P. Stuhlmacher. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Stowers, Stanley K. 1994. A Rereading of Romans: Justice, Jews, and Gentiles. Yale: Yale University Press. [Focused on Romans but worth engaging more generally]
Questions to consider:
- Was Paul’s theology systematically worked out, coherent but not systematic, merely ad hoc, or something else?
- What is the essence of Paul’s message? How would you explain it if you were asked to write an OUP Very Short Introduction to Paul?
Suggested Practice Gobbets: 1 Corinthians 1.18-24; Ephesians 3.2-9